Horse Racing/slow trot or fast trot good for horse and rider

hello ma'am. should a trainer instruct his jockeys/exercise riders to trot a horse at moderate speed or a fast trot is more beneficial both for the horse and rider?

Presuming the horse has no issues with soundness, the horse should be trotted easily when I first arrives on the track, for a couple of furlongs, just to help warn the horse up.  Then move to a fast trot.  There is not a lot of benefit in slow trotting a racehorse for any long distance, since you are trying to develop stamina.

Best wishes,

Maureen Millen
www. trainerstest. com

Horse Racing

Maureen Millen

Horse Training, Vet and Medical (layperson level), horse care, racehorse training and conditioning. Holistic Health.

30 years in equine industry, author of The Racehorse Trainers Test (, national award-winning TV producer, equine video producer. I have owned, shown 2 World Champions and a reserve World Champion, had many regional and state champions. Past experience includes: Certified Equine Appraiser, a Bloodstock Agent, Licensed Racehorse Trainer, stud farm manager, training farm manager, equine and canine rescue founder, retail upper management.

All major equine organizations and publications

University of Houston, Accounting , Media, Writing