Horseback Riding/heels down

Question
hello ma'am, while riding a horse, why should our heels be down and only our toes remain in the stirrup irons?

Answer
Rohit,

For a  race rider or jump rider, it is even more important for a rider to have their heel lower than their toes.
It lends stablility to the position, and enables them to use their lower leg more correctly. If the heel is not lower, the rider has more chance to tip forward and lose their balance.

Try something .......lean one arm against a wall to keep your balance and lift one of your legs off the ground. Point your toe down, and then pretend to use your leg on your horse. As you can tell, there is no strength in your calf, the muscles are contracted, and there is no substance or clarity to the leg aid.

Now just allow your foot to be level or let the heel becaome lower. You will feel the difference. If you were on a horse, this would allow you to give clearer leg signals to the horse, and you would not fall forward.

Mitzi  

Horseback Riding

Mitzi Summers