Horseback Riding/Horse

I have READ THE NOTIFICATION. I just got my first horse and am learning to ride on him. I use a curb bit and am considering getting a hackamore. He rides well with halter, just not as well as he would with the bit. He's older. What my question was sometimes he wants to go his own way and do his own thing. I hold the reins tight because if I don't he'll go do his own thing. What am I doing wrong? He is a very good horse and I want to keep the reins loose, as he does neck rein. Also he doesn't follow leg cues very well, any advice? He has been ridden by many people, been to many different owners, is there any way to bond with him? Thanks!

Stop pulling on REINS - watch my videos on riding with ONE rein, a horse can't pull unless it has a rider that is pulling. A rope halters is better than bosal, less care, and more consistent for the horse, less change, since the horse knows the halter for everything else.

One rein riding is the key for YOU to learn, not the horse. You pull on two since you don't know any other way. YOU have to learn and be convinced that you can control a horse with one rein and that you don't need to pull or fight with the horse.

You say the horse neck reins, I don't believe that, real neck reining horses do not pull. I did a video on neck reining and I would bet when you say your horse neck reins, he does NOT follow his nose, you pull his nose goes the opposite way his body does - a real neck reining horse will follow his head on a lose rein, if you pulling then your reins are NOT lose.

Like most horse problems, there are really people problems. When you get better, your horse will get better.  When you fix yourself, your horse will not need fixing.

Read my web site and watch my videos, I answer all these questions and many others.

Horseback Riding

Rick Gore Horsemanship

Visit Rick Gore's Horse Site:
--Rick is a student of the horse. I have over 450 free videos on Youtube about horses. I believe in and practice "Natural Horsemanship". I ride mainly western and don't use or promote spurs, bits, or whips. Reins are only one cue for the horse. Using the entire body helps the horse understand. I define riding as a human and horse working together for the enjoyment of both. Pain and fear should not be part of the equation. If you expect feel good advice, you will be disappointed. 95% of all my answers will include the problem is you and not your horse. About 90% of most answers that I give out are on my web site, so if you read it you will probably answer your own question and may learn a few other things. If you ask me a question that I answer on my site or video I will send your question to the question pool.

I am an experienced horseman with over 30 years of riding and handling horses. I grew up in Texas around horses and horse people. I have started colts, ridden many horses with behavior issues and worked with problem horses. I believe that most horse problems are normally people problems (lack of understanding of the horse). I believe in and practices natural horsemanship. I have never met a horse that could not be fixed. I believe it is never the horse's fault and with proper handling, all problems can be fixed, if the person handling the horse realizes that they are causing and contributing to the problem. Visit Rick Gore's Horsemanship

I have life long experience in being around and working with horses. Over the years I have watched good horsemen do the right thing and seen the wrong things done with bad results. I have a Bachelor of Science degree in Education.

Click Here to learn about Horse History

Clink Here to learn about Horsemanship