Horses/enlarged knee on elderly mare

We have a 24yr old QH mare. Her rt knee is the size of a grapefruit, but it is hard and doesn't feel warm. It seems the tendons on the outside from knee to hoof are stiffening. She can still walk on it, but limps a little and stands around a lot with her head at shoulder level.  When she walks, it seems to be a little stiff, but she still bends it a little.  It is very hard - it doesn't seem like usual swelling to me. She is kept at my parents' house (they are elderly) and when I came to visit, I saw it and asked about it.  Apparently, it became swollen and my dad put Absorbine linament on it and it reduced.  They hadn't noticed it was enlarged again, so I don't know how long it has been this way.  Any ideas?  I can't get her in at the vet's until after Christmas.   Thanks!

The vet is going to be better qualified than I am to tell you what is going on with the mare.  Without seeing her I can think of a dozen possibilities.  Anything from arthritis, bone chip, injury...see what I'm saying?  I would suggest poulticing it for a few days to see if you can bring the swelling down.  Just to make her more comfortable if nothing else.  I am afraid you will have to wait for a vet for a definitive answer to your mare's p;roblem

Lyn Kamer, C.E.S.M.T.

Training, alternative therapies, saddle fitting problems, behavioral problems, endurance riding, driving, Mustangs

Horseman of over 50 yrs., certified equine massage therapist, trainer both riding and driving, long distance trail riding and driving. Both endurance and competitive trail riding and driving.

American Endurance Ride Assn., Eastern Competitive Trail Ride Assn., New Jersey Trail Ride Assn., Aromatherapists International, American Mustang and Burro Assn., United States Trotting Assn., Standardbred Pleasure Horse Org., US Wild Horse and Burro Association

Trail Blazer magazine, AERC Newsletter, Hoofbeats magazine

Certified Equine Sports Massage Therapist, Least Resistance Trainer, Certified Aromatherapist