Horses/horses eating wood

If a horse continues to chew like a beaver on wood to where the fences are falling down because there is nothing left to them and no one does nothing what harm could this do to a horse health wise?
Thank you

Dear Lori,

You didn't mention where your horse is kept, dry lot, pasture etc.  Horses eat various odd things for various reasons.  There may be something lacking in his diet, most likely fiber, that needs to be corrected, or he may just be bored.  You may want to consider changing your fence material since one of the major dangers if that enough damage is done to the fence, your horse may end up loose on the highway. The wood itself is not likely to do him harm unless it is treated with a preservative or he ends up with splinters in his gut.  However, this is not something you want to allow to continue.  You need to find out WHY it is happening and fix that. Meanwhile, have fun repairing the fences.

Actually there is an excellent paper written on all the various weird things horses eat and why by Christine King, a veterinarian who is a member of the Australian College of Veterinary Scientists.  You can find the entire paper at

Good Luck

Lynne Curtis
"Common sense isn't."

Lynne Curtis

I do not participate in shows any more so some of my show specific knowledge could be out of date.

I have been involved in horses for approximately 45 years. I showed hunters, jumpers and stock horses. In the 80's I was licensed as a trainer on the race track. I have run broodmare operations, delivered foals and taught everything from what to feed and which end the shoes go on to advanced jumping. I tend to be impatient with owners who think their horses prefer to be locked up in confined spaces. Even my show and race horses rarely spent more than only the night before an event in a stall...the rest of the time they had room to run. In 1975 I rode a Quarter Horse Stallion and a Thoroughbred Mare solo from Minneapolis to San Francisco.

The Long Riders Guild (an international organization of equestrian explorers who have ridden over 1,000 miles for non-commercial purposes)

"The Long Ride" Published in Women Sports Magazine March of 1975 an article regarding the author's cross country horseback ride from Minnesota to California. "A Horse is a Horse,of Course" An article regarding investigating horse incidents and the Equine Liability Act for investigators and attorneys. published in The Legal Investigator, February 2004 "Investigating Animal Cases:" A chapter written at the request of the editors for a professional textbook entitled Advanced Forensic Civil Investigations published by Lawyers and Judges Publishing June, 1997 "Murder by Another Name:" An article published in The John Cook Fraud Report, December 1994 regarding the intentional killing of horses for greed and insurance fraud. "The Responsibilities of Horse Owners in Rural Communities:" A paper presented before the Regional Seminar of the National Association of Legal Investigators in November 1987 at Phoenix, Arizona. "The Old Gray Mare is Worth $10,000,000 Now." A professional paper on the investigation of cases involving bloodstock and racetracks presented before the National Conference of the National Association of Legal Investigators in Washington, D.C., June 1986.

Approximately 3 years of confined degree. Advanced degree from the university of experience :>)

Recepient of the 1st place Anthony M. Golec Editor-Publisher Award 2004