Horses/runny nose

Question
I have a 3 year old pony that we just bought last week, she has a runny nose. She had a runny nose when we went to see her a couple of weeks ago.   It is whitish in colour.  She is eating and drinking fine.  We have an open door barn with standing stalls for them where the water is kept and we are giving a ration of either grain, beet pulp, bran mash and treats of alfalfa cubes - broken into very small pieces and only one piece at a time...I am wondering if I should try any over the counter type (preferably all natural) medicine.  Could you please advise me what to give her... I plan to have a vet come in the new year to give them shots (we have two) as I doubt if they have had any.

Answer
Pat,

I have some concerns about the runny nose as to what is causing it. I hope the pony is not coming in contact with the other horse you have in case this is something contagious.  Not really sure you want to wait until after the 1st of the year to have a vet look at her.  If this is a low grade infection it may well not affect her appetite.  Ponies are stomachs with feet.  Without knowing the cause of the runny nose I am at a loss as to what to suggest using to treat it.  It could be strangles, allergies, a sinus infection.  You really need to have a vet take a look and figure out what is going on.  

Lyn

Horses

Lyn Kamer, C.E.S.M.T.