Horses/schooling young horses

Question
QUESTION: Hi I have a young cavalier horse that my sister broke very nicely, she was 3 months riding well until I allowed my boyfriend to try her he rode her for about 10 min and asked way to much of her, I could not get any forwardness out of her after him. He put extreme leg and hand grip on her, trying to do collected trot, when I rode her after him she would not move from my leg, it took a lot to move her, when I finally got her to move she had no brakes like before, the next day she had a cold back and was afraid to go forward and afraid of things around her. I put her back out to the field for a couple of months after but she still remembered, I managed to get her jumping a meter plain fence. Can you give me some advice, it is a pitty because she had no problems at all before he rode her and she would have gone a lot further with her jumping, thanks yours sincerely terry.

ANSWER: Hello Terryanne,

The mare needs to be turned over, immediately, to an excellent trainer with an unimpeachable reputation for rescuing badly trained horses.  If you continue to train the horse she will only get worse.  You did not do what she needed after she was tortured by your boyfriend.

She did not get the necessary background in the beginning, and is still not getting it. Please send the poor mare to someone who knows how to train a horse and to ride mercifully.

A beginner trying to ride/train a ruined horse is a disaster waiting to happen.

Sincerely,
Dorothy

QUESTION: Hi Dorothy
         I have my BHS stage 3 myself and have trained in a dressage yard, I have trained my other horse heading towards intermediate dressage level, extended trout ect.
    It is too late for my cavalier as this happened 16 years ago and she has been out on grass and wintered in ever since, I was working to hard with my own Job and people put me under pressure  to get her going , the last thing she needed was pressure and myself as I was tired from my job, yes you are correct I should have sent her straight to a professional trainer.
  I just wanted to get proof from an expert like you to tell my parents and sister, as they would not believe me for years.
       If you give an address Dorothy I can send a donation to you , you gave me a peace of mind, thank you yours sincerely Terry

Answer
Hello Terryanne,

Thanks for your reply.  You did say that she was 'Young".  If you had said she was an aged mare, I would have probably said the same, or if you had said 16, I would have advised exactly what you did...put her out to pasture.

Now...thank you very much for you offer of a donation. I would rather you give what donation you had in mind to your favorite charity or to your town's efforts to feed the disadvantaged at holiday season.  That would make me very happy.

Please don't hesitate to ask any other question.

Sincerely,
Dorothy

Horses

Dorothy K Morris