Horses/tripping

Question

I purchased a 11 yr old TWH 8 months ago.  Jake tripped while trail riding, but not enough to be concerned.  A few weeks ago, he fell to his knees (immediately got up) and again a few days ago, he fell twice on the same trail ride.  Both times, he immediately stood. I rode in front, so he wasn't "day dreaming."  When I purchased him, Jake wore Borium horseshoes. I never asked why. During his next shoeing, I had my ferrier shoe and trim as he did my Quarter Horses. With each trimming (every 6 weeks), Jake's tripping continued until the eventual fall to his knees. Is this possible for shoeing/trimming reasons, or something else??? Awaiting a vet call back.

Answer
First, sorry for the delay, forgot to put myself on vacation.  

As for your horse,  it is possible that a different shoeing is causing problems.  Just like if you are used to wearing sneakers all the time and change to heels, you would have to adjust.  Some things to look at would be the length and angle of the feet- you say you have him trimmed like your QH- a TWH generally has a different style of trim, especially if it has been shown.  If the angle of the foot was changed he may just be getting used to the new angles.  Have you tried lunging and seeing if he tends to not pick up his feet or stumble/trip?

Another possibility is that there is something neurological going on, which would need a vet visit to determine.  I would also check his eyesight to make sure nothing is going on there.  

Please do reply with any additional questions, I will be checking messages every day or so.  

Horses

Lisa Lee