Horses/young horse

Question
hi I have just purchased a 6 year old who has done a little bit of jumping, he flat work is good but I am wondering what exercises I could do to improve her jumping, she is still quite green. I have done a bit of gymnastic exercises and am not sure if there are other things I should do. also when can I increase the height, does it matter? she has plenty of scope. cheers Lucy

Answer
Hi Lucy,

Your horse sounds ready for some course work. Begin over figure 8 fences. Use oxers and hog backs, low at first and then extending height and width as he progresses.  A good book to use is James Woffords training methods.  Go to as many schooling shows as you can.  Never over face, but gradually increase difficulty.

Sincerely,
Dorothy

Horses

Dorothy K Morris