Horses/Herd Behavior

My mare is in a herd of 9 horses and has been there for some months. There are 6 geldings and 3 mares including her. She can be with the herd for a while and then she is not allowed any more. Don't know which horse is attacking her but the first time she was badly injured and the second time she was injured but not to bad. that time she cut her leg jumping the fence to get away. I don't know what to do to help the herd accept her I am afraid she will jump the fence to escape harm and end up in the road. When she is in the paddock there is no problems she stays in the gate. she is stalled and the paddocks is for sick horses so that is not an option. I feel by segregating her I'm making it worst.

Hello Jackie,

By all means segregate your mare. You will not be making it worse.  Be sure to exercise her often and spend time with her so she looks forward to your visits.  She is in danger where she is and you are in danger of having to spend much money on vet bills if she is badly injured.  Get your mare out of that herd asap. If you can't do it where she is now, take her somewhere else.

Happy riding,

Dorothy K Morris

I now live in Tucson, AZ. My expertise is in training and rehabilitating horses, and training riders for combined training for over 40 years, in Virginia and California. This includes dressage, cross country obstacles and show jumping. In my many years of experience and endless study of Classical theory, and my hands-on retraining horses,I have accummulated much knowledge of the different personalities of horses and how to approach their rehabilitation. At my age, I do not ride as much as I used to, but I don't see why I have to waste the experience I have. I can answer certain questions about starting young horses in English riding: dressage, jumping, cross country obstacles and basic equitation. I can help with rehabilitation of spoiled or difficult horses; however, many problems require sustained riding instruction/training and I cannot do this online. Some issues need to be observed to come to a correct diagnosis. If your problem is of this type, please find a qualified instructor/trainer. I cannot give riding lessons via email.

Experience in the area: Over 40 years of English riding experience, including Fox Hunting in Virginia where I earned my colors with the Blue Ridge Hunt, training young horses for hunting and/or eventing. Coached a rider from her beginning at Training Level Combined tests through her competition at two Junior International competition Three Day Events. She rode my horse that I also started and trained her to ride. This combination competed in the World Championship Three Day in Lexington, KY in 1978. I trained another horse (TB) through 3rd Level Dressage and jumping. He eventually competed at Advanced level Three Day. I have reschooled several horses with difficulties ranging from running away to running backward, to not allowing a bridle to be put on, to kicking out at the farrier, being "too much on the muscle over jumps", barn sour, etc

National Society Daughters of the Revolution (DAR)

Six novels (I am also a novelist)

Some college. Endless study of Classical Theory and training methods.

Who's Who of American Women, Who'w Who in America, Past Board of Directors FDIC-NACM