Horses/horse with growth plate problems

Question
QUESTION: Hi my name is Tammy I have a3yr. old horse that has a limp with right front leg.I called a vet out he said he had growth plate problems. He advised me to call a farrier to have corrective shoeing done. I have done that left leg seems to be better but right leg still weak he stumbles and limps. Is there anything else I can do to help him? Some say to put him down I do not want to do that I want to try wraps along with corrective shoeing just not sure what to do Please Help.

ANSWER: Hello Tammy,

I do feel such sympathy for you with this poor horse. A stumbler, for whatever reason, is a danger to any rider.  

I am not  a vet, so I cannot give you any advice about whether or not he will grow out of this, but in my experience, stumblers keep on stumbling, resulting in falls and being thrown for the rider.  If the problem is in the growth plate of the leg, I don't see how corrective shoeing will help, but then, I am neither a farrier nor a vet.  As a rider and trainer and coach, I recommend finding him a home where he can be a buddy horse, or just be ridden at a walk. Whether or not he is in pain...the vet will have to answer this.

Have you had X-rays? Have you gotten a second opinion from another vet?  I'd start there, and then make your decision.

Sincerely,
Dorothy

QUESTION: Dorothy,          I have not had any x-rays done at this time. I will take your advice and get a second opinion and x-rays. Do you think that wraping the leg would help or hurt? Do you know any vets that I can email and talk to about my horse funny money? Thank you so much for taking time to email me back.          Thank You     
         Tammy

Answer
Tammy, it would be much wiser to get the other vet, get the xrays, have the vet see the horse move and then allow him to diagnose.  If there is a University Vet hospital near you, that would be the place to take the horse. The best diagnosis would be there.  But if you cannot afford that, just get the vet in your area with the best reputation, just as long as it is a second vet.  Keep me posted on the results? I would like to see what you find out.

Sincerely
Dorothy

Horses

Dorothy K Morris