Horses/dont lean at canter

hello, may i know why not to lean back or front while cantering a horse? why to sit straight in the saddle?

You want to sit upright to keep your balance. If you lean back, you will be 'catching up' to the horse and not have the right amount of control. If you lean too far forward, again, you won't have the right amount of control. Now, if you are jumping, you do lean forward just before the jump (half-seat this is called) - this is to make sure you are balanced when you land after the jump and to put the pressure on the horse in the right place.  

Lisa Lee

Questions on basic training, fire safety with all types of animals, transportation questions, Fire Code requirements for buildings (NYS), basic building construction, fire safety in barns and animal facilities.

Over 20 years experience in the horse industry, from working on farms to owning and breeding my own horses. Have been involved with Code Enforcement and NFPA Standard development for the past 7 years. I am also involved in the Fire Service, both volunter and professionally, for a total of 20+ years.

Past - NFPA, current, Easy Street Horse Rescue (Board of Directors)

Multiple National Certifications in the Fire Service, including Fire Service Instructor, Fire Investigator Level 1, Hazardous Materials Technician; and I am curently close to the completion of my AS in Fire Science Technology. Over 20 years experience working with horses both personally and professionally, currently owner of 2 Paso Fino horses.