Horses/left the feed from my hand

Question
hello lisa. today i had been to the stable during feeding time. most of the horses pinned their ears when i approached them. i have collected little quantity of feed from their feed tub and showed it to them. i couldnt believe it. they approached me, sniffed the feed in my hand and left away. may i know why did they react like that?

Answer
Horses can be very smart animals, there may be something about the way you approach them, body posture or even smell that they do not like.  Is this a normal reaction or something new they have done?  When my horses do not feel like being social with me they will pin ears, walk away and even ignore me.  

Horses

Lisa Lee