Horses/all about horse mood

hello lisa. may i know why does horse mood change frequently? at a moment, they will be quiet and show love when we approach them. the next, they either bite, kick or rear seeing us.

Horses can be like people when it comes to moods - depending on what is going on, their environment, or just generall attitude for the day.....also body language can play a big part - if a horse is rearing and/or kicking at you, it is generally a rection to a negative input from a person, versus an issue with the attitude of hte horse. They will also usually give more subtle cues before resorting to physical actions.  

Take a look at what you and others are doing when the horses are quiet and accepting, and see if you can figure out what changes - does someone move suddenly, does a voice change/get louder - are the horses being touched somewhere they do not like...there are many variables.  

Lisa Lee

Questions on basic training, fire safety with all types of animals, transportation questions, Fire Code requirements for buildings (NYS), basic building construction, fire safety in barns and animal facilities.

Over 20 years experience in the horse industry, from working on farms to owning and breeding my own horses. Have been involved with Code Enforcement and NFPA Standard development for the past 7 years. I am also involved in the Fire Service, both volunter and professionally, for a total of 20+ years.

Past - NFPA, current, Easy Street Horse Rescue (Board of Directors)

Multiple National Certifications in the Fire Service, including Fire Service Instructor, Fire Investigator Level 1, Hazardous Materials Technician; and I am curently close to the completion of my AS in Fire Science Technology. Over 20 years experience working with horses both personally and professionally, currently owner of 2 Paso Fino horses.