Horses/tips on sitting at canter

hello. can you give me some tips on how to sit in a canter? do tell me where to hold the reins, on withers or on the crest of the neck.

If cantering on the flat, you should hold the reins in the same position as when at a walk or trot - slightly above the withers.  The hands should stay in the same position during the canter. If you are jumping, or practicing other riding positions, that is when the hand position should change.  

Lisa Lee

Questions on basic training, fire safety with all types of animals, transportation questions, Fire Code requirements for buildings (NYS), basic building construction, fire safety in barns and animal facilities.

Over 20 years experience in the horse industry, from working on farms to owning and breeding my own horses. Have been involved with Code Enforcement and NFPA Standard development for the past 7 years. I am also involved in the Fire Service, both volunter and professionally, for a total of 20+ years.

Past - NFPA, current, Easy Street Horse Rescue (Board of Directors)

Multiple National Certifications in the Fire Service, including Fire Service Instructor, Fire Investigator Level 1, Hazardous Materials Technician; and I am curently close to the completion of my AS in Fire Science Technology. Over 20 years experience working with horses both personally and professionally, currently owner of 2 Paso Fino horses.