Horses/trotting with tight strides

QUESTION: hello. i have attached a video link. in that, can you please figure out which horses are trotting with tight strides? the below is the video link.

ANSWER: Hi - I looked at some of the video, and it is quite difficult to determine from that which of the horses would have a tighter stride.  What you want to look for when determining if a horse has a tight stride is the extension of the legs - look at the hoof prints when the horse walks, with a long stride, the back hooves may overlap the front. In a tighter stride, the hind foot will not extend as far forward as the front feet so you will have 4 deistinct hoof prints.  There are advantages and disadvantages with both types of strides.

QUESTION: thanks for the answer. may i know why the leading horse's foreleg hitting the ground harder as if trotting roughly?

The horse in front - the buckskin (tan) at times is actually breaking from a trot into a canter. This may be what you are seeing. The trot should be an evenly spaced 2 beat gait - with opposite legs hitting the ground at the same time - right front/left rear and left front/right rear.  

Lisa Lee

Questions on basic training, fire safety with all types of animals, transportation questions, Fire Code requirements for buildings (NYS), basic building construction, fire safety in barns and animal facilities.

Over 20 years experience in the horse industry, from working on farms to owning and breeding my own horses. Have been involved with Code Enforcement and NFPA Standard development for the past 7 years. I am also involved in the Fire Service, both volunter and professionally, for a total of 20+ years.

Past - NFPA, current, Easy Street Horse Rescue (Board of Directors)

Multiple National Certifications in the Fire Service, including Fire Service Instructor, Fire Investigator Level 1, Hazardous Materials Technician; and I am curently close to the completion of my AS in Fire Science Technology. Over 20 years experience working with horses both personally and professionally, currently owner of 2 Paso Fino horses.