Horses/turning out my horse in a week

hello, how many times a week should i turn out my horse irrespective of breed, gender, age, discipline?

A horse is a herd creature, so in a perfect situation it would be turned out 24 hours a day/7 days a week.  For individual situations, that depends on many factors, such as the amount of turn out available, what other horses it may need to go out with (or be kept from), what kind of food is in the turnout - if you have a horse that is not used to grass, for example, you should not turn it out on grassy pasture without letting it get used to the grass first - if it were to eat too much it could actually make the horse very sick.  

Lisa Lee

Questions on basic training, fire safety with all types of animals, transportation questions, Fire Code requirements for buildings (NYS), basic building construction, fire safety in barns and animal facilities.

Over 20 years experience in the horse industry, from working on farms to owning and breeding my own horses. Have been involved with Code Enforcement and NFPA Standard development for the past 7 years. I am also involved in the Fire Service, both volunter and professionally, for a total of 20+ years.

Past - NFPA, current, Easy Street Horse Rescue (Board of Directors)

Multiple National Certifications in the Fire Service, including Fire Service Instructor, Fire Investigator Level 1, Hazardous Materials Technician; and I am curently close to the completion of my AS in Fire Science Technology. Over 20 years experience working with horses both personally and professionally, currently owner of 2 Paso Fino horses.