Horses/deworming my horse

Question
hello Lyn. how frequently should i deworm my horse?

Answer
Rohit,

I sort of answered this in my response to your question with the picture attached of the manure.  In areas where there is a heavy concentration of horses and manure, every 60 days is the recommended frequency due to chances of reinfestation.  Reducing the parasite load lets the horse get the full benefit of the feed it gets when it doesn't have to share with the parasites.
A vet might recommend checking a fecal sample for worm counts/type of worms but most of the wormers hit a variety of worms with ivermectin showing, so far, the least amount of resistance in the parasites meaning it does a pretty good job of reducing the parasite load in the horse.

Horses

Lyn Kamer, C.E.S.M.T.