Horses/garlic for cold and caugh in horses

Question
hello Lisa. hope you can answer this question.

a trainer told me to grind garlic to paste, mix it in honey, fill it in 1 litre bottle to prevent cold and caugh in horses. is the trainer right? does really garlic prevents cold and caugh in horses?

Answer
Dear Rohit- Hope you are well. There is no clinical evidence at all that garlic can prevent cough in horses. In fact- "home-made" remedies such as this can sometimes give owners a false sense that they are treating a condition that requires veterinary care. Further- since garlic is not natural to a horse's diet and is a member of the onion family- garlic is actually quite toxic to horses. Here is an article for further reading:
http://www.equisearch.com/article/eqgarlic528
Best wishes,
S. Evans

Horses

Shelley Evans