Horses/gripping knees or both knees and thighs

hello lisa. i have a serious doubt. while doing posting trot, should i grim only my knees in the saddle or both my knees and thighs should be gripped for better balance?

Hello Rohit,

I am not Lisa. I am Dorothy, but I can answer your question.

When simply posting the trot it is not necessary to grip anything. Keep your weight deep in your heel and ball of foot light on stirrup. Keep thighs soft and knees flat on saddle. Calf is used to keep horse in trot.

Gripping with knees is important only when jumping.  At trot, we simply stay on using balance.  In our exercises we are taught to trot with entire leg the horse...the better to develop balance.

Gripping constantly would irritate horse and interfere with our later aids.  Sit lightly.

I hope this answers your question.  You can see more of my riding information on

Dorothy K Morris

Dorothy K Morris

I now live in Tucson, AZ. My expertise is in training and rehabilitating horses, and training riders for combined training for over 40 years, in Virginia and California. This includes dressage, cross country obstacles and show jumping. In my many years of experience and endless study of Classical theory, and my hands-on retraining horses,I have accummulated much knowledge of the different personalities of horses and how to approach their rehabilitation. At my age, I do not ride as much as I used to, but I don't see why I have to waste the experience I have. I can answer certain questions about starting young horses in English riding: dressage, jumping, cross country obstacles and basic equitation. I can help with rehabilitation of spoiled or difficult horses; however, many problems require sustained riding instruction/training and I cannot do this online. Some issues need to be observed to come to a correct diagnosis. If your problem is of this type, please find a qualified instructor/trainer. I cannot give riding lessons via email.

Experience in the area: Over 40 years of English riding experience, including Fox Hunting in Virginia where I earned my colors with the Blue Ridge Hunt, training young horses for hunting and/or eventing. Coached a rider from her beginning at Training Level Combined tests through her competition at two Junior International competition Three Day Events. She rode my horse that I also started and trained her to ride. This combination competed in the World Championship Three Day in Lexington, KY in 1978. I trained another horse (TB) through 3rd Level Dressage and jumping. He eventually competed at Advanced level Three Day. I have reschooled several horses with difficulties ranging from running away to running backward, to not allowing a bridle to be put on, to kicking out at the farrier, being "too much on the muscle over jumps", barn sour, etc

National Society Daughters of the Revolution (DAR)

Six novels (I am also a novelist)

Some college. Endless study of Classical Theory and training methods.

Who's Who of American Women, Who'w Who in America, Past Board of Directors FDIC-NACM