Horses/Rebuilding shoulders

Question
Hello,
I recently got an OTTB. He came off the track with a bowed tendon, but had two years off and was given an ultrasound before I got him (everything was old and set). He was cleared by two different vets and ready to start back into training. I'm hoping to do dressage and low level jumping with him. I've noticed that because of his injury he has built up his right shoulder and tricep and lost lots of muscle on his left side (the leg that was injured). Because of this, he has a strange hitch at the walk. I had the vets check to make sure he is sound to be back into work, and they both said he is good to go. I'd like to start rebuilding the shoulder (and even the top of his leg on that side). I understand that it's not easy to target one muscle group in horses, but I'd like to just focus on rebalancing him. He is amazing and willing, so I want to start work the right way on him. I'm thinking of doing ground work with some balancing reins, but I don't know if lots of lateral work and circles will help too?
Any suggestions of things to try would be great!
Thanks,
Stefanie

Answer
Hello Stephanie,

Stick to the progress levels in the Classical System. Do Not focus on any one muscle area.  An all around, well programmed training schedule, based on the correct and proper progression through the levels will work, if anything will. Lateral work should only begin after one year of elementary ground work, and when the horse has begun collection.

For a better understanding of the classical system, please read my articles at ExpertBeacon.com on horse training, under my name.

If you focus on one set of muscles, you do so at the peril of others, which will defeat you before you begin.

Get the books I recommend at that site, read them, study them and follow them for correct training.

Sincerely

Dorothy K Morris

Horses

Dorothy K Morris