Horses/predicting soft jaws of a horse

Question
hello. is it possible to figure out if the horses has soft jaws or not by looking at them, touching their lips and jaws, placing our hand in their mouth?

Answer
Dear Rohit,
I think you are referring to a "soft mouth." A soft mouth has nothing to do with the physical anatomy of the horse but rather the horse's willingness to respond to the rider's hands (rein aids) with a light touch. A horse with a soft mouth answers the rider's rein aids immediately and with the rider only needing to cue the horse lightly with the rein. A horse with a hard mouth lacks this sensitivity and can lock up against the bit. It is somewhat like driving a truck that does not have power steering versus driving a sports car with responsive power steering.
Hope this addresses your question,
S. Evans

Horses

Shelley Evans