Horses/showjumping profession

Question
hello Dorothy. is show jumping a demanding profession in your country? I would like to become a show jumper. would be advise me to take it? Here in INDIA, i am learning horsback riding. i mastered skills in troting.

Answer
Hello Rohit,

In America show jumping is a sport, not a profession.  Of course, if you are experienced and excel at the sport, you might make a living as an instructor and coach.  However, in order to reach that level you must master the art and skill, you must be able to train green horses to jump high jumps (4-5 feet and higher, also very wide) and to be winners.  You must also be able to instruct students so that they can also master the sport.

So you see, it is a long and difficult journey and most jumper/riders begin their training as youngsters, as young as 3 and 4 years, riding ponies.

I would advise you to have another career and to ride and jump for fun.

Sincerely,
Dorothy

Horses

Dorothy K Morris