Horses/trot without stirrups (or) bareback trot

Question
Hi Lisa. Sam here. I have been trotting horses under saddle since a month & got the balance. Would you suggest me to trot without stirrups or can I learn bareback trotting directly?

Answer
I would start with trotting with a saddle and not using stirrups.  Make sure you get your balance that way, the saddle will help you with that.  As for trotting bareback, I would look at the physical condition of the horse you are using before trying this - some horses have a very bony back, which can make riding bareback very uncomfortable - for both the rider and the horse.  If you are looking to improve your balance, there are exercises you can do while not using stirrups (once you are comfortable), such as not using reins (having someone lunge you), bendin/twisting as you ride etc.  Again, these should be only done once you are comfortable without stirrups and have your horse well under control that way.  

Horses

Lisa Lee