Horses/dirt covering the sole

Question
hoof
hoof  
hello Anne, did the dirt get dried up and covering the sole of this hoof (or) it is the sole of this hoof. according to me, this hoof is horrible.

Answer
Rohit, you are correct--that hoof is not pretty! I would suggest either letting the horse stand in a bucket of water for a few minutes, or washing the hoof--including the sole--thoroughly. After you do that, you should be able to use a hoof pick and hoof brush to see what you've really got there. That horse also needs to see a blacksmith immediately!!! I can't see anything resembling a frog, and as you know they are the horse's shock absorbers, so to speak.
Anne

Horses

Anne Stepien