You are here:

Horses/round bulged spots


round bulged
round bulged  
hello Lyn, are you able to figure out small round bulged spots on the horse coat. may i know what are they?


Yeah, they're hives, an allergic reaction in the skin.  Can be bug bites or a reaction to something the horse has rolled in in the dirt that it's allergic to. It can also be caused by a reaction to something in the feed. You can try an oral antihistamine product like EquiHist to settle the reaction down.  Really severe cases where the horse is extremely uncomfortable may require steroids to get the reaction under control.  Biggest thing is to figure out what the horse is getting a reaction to and determine what is best way to avoid/control the horse's exposure.  


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Lyn Kamer, C.E.S.M.T.


Training, alternative therapies, saddle fitting problems, behavioral problems, endurance riding, driving, Mustangs


Horseman of over 50 yrs., certified equine massage therapist, trainer both riding and driving, long distance trail riding and driving. Both endurance and competitive trail riding and driving.

American Endurance Ride Assn., Eastern Competitive Trail Ride Assn., New Jersey Trail Ride Assn., Aromatherapists International, American Mustang and Burro Assn., United States Trotting Assn., Standardbred Pleasure Horse Org., US Wild Horse and Burro Association

Trail Blazer magazine, AERC Newsletter, Hoofbeats magazine

Certified Equine Sports Massage Therapist, Least Resistance Trainer, Certified Aromatherapist

©2017 All rights reserved.