Horses/smacking on shoulder and rump

Hi Lyn. Sam here. I always have a doubt. When to smack with the whip on the horse shoulder and when on her haunches?

Well, first it depends upon why you are smacking her.  For disciplinary purposes a smack on the shoulder should be more than adequate.  I use taps on the hip to ask the horse to move that part of their body.  A whip/crop is a training tool first and foremost. I find it works better, especially with the girls, to ask rather than demand.  When objecting, in your eyes misbehaving, rather than fighting about it I just ask in a different way and get the horse to work with me rather than against me.  Hopefully this will help you.

Lyn Kamer, C.E.S.M.T.

Training, alternative therapies, saddle fitting problems, behavioral problems, endurance riding, driving, Mustangs

Horseman of over 50 yrs., certified equine massage therapist, trainer both riding and driving, long distance trail riding and driving. Both endurance and competitive trail riding and driving.

American Endurance Ride Assn., Eastern Competitive Trail Ride Assn., New Jersey Trail Ride Assn., Aromatherapists International, American Mustang and Burro Assn., United States Trotting Assn., Standardbred Pleasure Horse Org., US Wild Horse and Burro Association

Trail Blazer magazine, AERC Newsletter, Hoofbeats magazine

Certified Equine Sports Massage Therapist, Least Resistance Trainer, Certified Aromatherapist