Horses/curved mouthpiece bits on racehorses

curved mouthpiece
curved mouthpiece  
hello Lynne. I work in a thoroughbred racing stable. may i know when to use curved mouthpiece bits on horses especially racehorses?

The photo you have attached is called a full-cheek snaffle. Snaffle bits come in many shapes.  What makes them snaffles is no leverage.  The side cheeks on the photo you have attached are to keep the bit from coming sideways out of the horse's mouth when lateral (side) pressure is applied. Some people prefer to use larger side rings. Personally some type of snaffle is the only bit I ever use on race horses or working saddle horses. (I believe if your cow horse, jumper, whatever can't be controlled with a snaffle or a bosal, both of you need more training)  There is a kind of bit with a broken mouth-piece like a snaffle but with long shanks on the side. This is NOT a gentle bit and not really a snaffle.  Some people feel that a snaffle is only meant for training colts and then they advance to a more severe bit with leverage. (Although not on the track. If the usual heavy-handed jockey had leverage on a horse it would not be a good idea. At best, he would slow the horse to much, at worst he could do permanent damage to the horse.) If if the reins are attached in a straight line with the horse's mouth, it limits the pressure you can put on him.  If you have shanks coming down from the each side and a curb strap under the horse's chin with the reins attached to the end of the shanks, when you pull back, there is a nutcracker effect and you can put much more pressure on the horse's mouth.  

Lynne Curtis

I do not participate in shows any more so some of my show specific knowledge could be out of date.

I have been involved in horses for approximately 45 years. I showed hunters, jumpers and stock horses. In the 80's I was licensed as a trainer on the race track. I have run broodmare operations, delivered foals and taught everything from what to feed and which end the shoes go on to advanced jumping. I tend to be impatient with owners who think their horses prefer to be locked up in confined spaces. Even my show and race horses rarely spent more than only the night before an event in a stall...the rest of the time they had room to run. In 1975 I rode a Quarter Horse Stallion and a Thoroughbred Mare solo from Minneapolis to San Francisco.

The Long Riders Guild (an international organization of equestrian explorers who have ridden over 1,000 miles for non-commercial purposes)

"The Long Ride" Published in Women Sports Magazine March of 1975 an article regarding the author's cross country horseback ride from Minnesota to California. "A Horse is a Horse,of Course" An article regarding investigating horse incidents and the Equine Liability Act for investigators and attorneys. published in The Legal Investigator, February 2004 "Investigating Animal Cases:" A chapter written at the request of the editors for a professional textbook entitled Advanced Forensic Civil Investigations published by Lawyers and Judges Publishing June, 1997 "Murder by Another Name:" An article published in The John Cook Fraud Report, December 1994 regarding the intentional killing of horses for greed and insurance fraud. "The Responsibilities of Horse Owners in Rural Communities:" A paper presented before the Regional Seminar of the National Association of Legal Investigators in November 1987 at Phoenix, Arizona. "The Old Gray Mare is Worth $10,000,000 Now." A professional paper on the investigation of cases involving bloodstock and racetracks presented before the National Conference of the National Association of Legal Investigators in Washington, D.C., June 1986.

Approximately 3 years of confined degree. Advanced degree from the university of experience :>)

Recepient of the 1st place Anthony M. Golec Editor-Publisher Award 2004