Horses/help identify my horse

Question
thunder
thunder  
Hello I am asking for help I have looked at every page available but I can't find my horse information from his brand I don't know what breed vet said warm blood he is about 7 his freeze brand is 68a46 please help thunder he needs to have his identity back

Answer
Hi Tasha,

Blowing your photo up in Photoshop was not enough.  I'd like to see a clear photo of the entire brand.  It looks like it might continue under his mane.  Does he have any other brands anywhere else? BLM horses are freeze branded with a series of angles on the left side of the neck. This is evidently not an angle brand.  Standardbreds are branded on the right side of the neck, but that is also an angle code. Some ranches use their own brands.  This might be easier to run down with more information.  What state are you in, where did you buy him?  Did he go through a sale.  Warmblood is not a specific breed in and of itself.  

Warmbloods were primarily developed in Europe by crossing various draft breeds with more refined breeds seeking something more athletic and refined than a draft horse but stronger than an Arabian or Thoroughbred.  There are Trakehners, Dutch Warmbloods, American Warmbloods, Oldenburgs and Holsteiners to name only a few.

Running down this brand my be possible but it would be nice to start with more information,  Here did you get Thunder?  Do you know where he came from before?  Did he go through a sale?  Can you ask whoever you bough him from if they know anything about his history?

I once tracked down a horse I owned by leafing through various brand books from the western states. (He had two brands)  His was a very interesting story.  The numbers and the letter on your brand may tell you what year your horse was foaled and where, but it would be easier to start out with a general area.

If you'll send me a better photo of the entire brand and what you know about where he came from, I can see what I can do to help.

Good  luck,

Lynne

http://www.tracingequines.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2884  

Horses

Lynne Curtis