Horses/Tracking my horse

The freeze brand
The freeze brand  
QUESTION: I recently just adopted a standardbred he has a freezebrand on the right side of his neck, and looks like it says 4DC3b. I can't find anything on it, but would love to! His name is Wilson. He paces and I'm currently teaching him how to jump and canter. Thanks for any help!

ANSWER: Hello Debbie,

I have checked the standardbred registry and find that the freezebrand on your horse does not match the patterns of Standardbreds.  Their patters are: 1st is a letter, 2nd is a letter, last 3 are numbers, like:

AB222.  I will research further to see if it is another brand...Perhaps saddlebred.

Do you have papers?

p.s. he is a lovely mover.

QUESTION: Thanks for the help! He really doesn't look like a saddlebred, he's bigger then them, I would say he's definetly a standardbred... I don't have papers, I was thinking maybe it was the farm he was at that did the freezebrand. I was told he never has raced before(which didn't make sense since he had the brand), and he's 7 or 8 (dentist says 7).

Hi Debbie,

From my small amount of experience with brands, I don't think this is a private farm brand. They usually have other than numbers and letters, mayby diagrams or small objects like hammers or rockers.. Numbers and letters usually are official registries.  I would check all the others...AQHA, Cleveland Bay... whatever. He is a handsome horse and a very good mover.

You know it really does not matter what breed he is. If he does the job, that is all you need. Love him, train him well. Goooooo Wilson,  

Dorothy K Morris

I now live in Tucson, AZ. My expertise is in training and rehabilitating horses, and training riders for combined training for over 40 years, in Virginia and California. This includes dressage, cross country obstacles and show jumping. In my many years of experience and endless study of Classical theory, and my hands-on retraining horses,I have accummulated much knowledge of the different personalities of horses and how to approach their rehabilitation. At my age, I do not ride as much as I used to, but I don't see why I have to waste the experience I have. I can answer certain questions about starting young horses in English riding: dressage, jumping, cross country obstacles and basic equitation. I can help with rehabilitation of spoiled or difficult horses; however, many problems require sustained riding instruction/training and I cannot do this online. Some issues need to be observed to come to a correct diagnosis. If your problem is of this type, please find a qualified instructor/trainer. I cannot give riding lessons via email.

Experience in the area: Over 40 years of English riding experience, including Fox Hunting in Virginia where I earned my colors with the Blue Ridge Hunt, training young horses for hunting and/or eventing. Coached a rider from her beginning at Training Level Combined tests through her competition at two Junior International competition Three Day Events. She rode my horse that I also started and trained her to ride. This combination competed in the World Championship Three Day in Lexington, KY in 1978. I trained another horse (TB) through 3rd Level Dressage and jumping. He eventually competed at Advanced level Three Day. I have reschooled several horses with difficulties ranging from running away to running backward, to not allowing a bridle to be put on, to kicking out at the farrier, being "too much on the muscle over jumps", barn sour, etc

National Society Daughters of the Revolution (DAR)

Six novels (I am also a novelist)

Some college. Endless study of Classical Theory and training methods.

Who's Who of American Women, Who'w Who in America, Past Board of Directors FDIC-NACM