Horses - Behavior Issues, Breaking and Training/Horse biting his shoulder/chest under saddle

L. wrote at 2011-10-03 15:50:10
Hi, I'm just wondering if you checked for ulcers and if you had any resolution to these symptoms.  I know the post was old.  We have a horse here exhibiting very similar symptoms and I would love to chat with you if you found out what the problem was.

Nicola Heath wrote at 2013-02-26 13:42:09
Hi, I'm just wondering if you ever found a solution as I am enduring the same problem and it's really getting me down. I have gone through everything you have done and no luck. She has progressed to rearing and spinning to bite herself. I hope you solved your issue!

Barb wrote at 2015-12-31 00:01:19
Hi Leanne, I have a 20yrs young Oldenburg Gelding that has similar problems. It has been going on for about the past 12 years or so. We noticed it about one year after he had taken a tumble on some ice. All the vets concluded that he was fine, and there was no damage, so after a long rest and recovery of the better part of the year we started schooling again and then we noticed it after that.

What he does is throws or flings his head down to his left shoulder and chest area. He does it almost for a second and then goes right back to concentrating on the task I asking him to do. Its almost as if he's like "oh my gosh a bug!", then its done. He will do it multiple times while riding, and only does it while ridden. I have also tried everything over the years. Vet after vet, therapists, chiropractors, thermal scans, magnetic therapy, supplements, custom saddles etc. nobody can find anything.

I know that he also hates slobber, and when he does get quite frothy he does start to act out by flinging his head down, but only once at a time.

I think he is attempting to try to remove the slobber.

I had to stop competing with him due to how scary it is for him to do that when we are about to jump over a fence, and I panic because my horse is not "there" anymore. I feel that it really is all in his head, which is such a shame as he such a talented horse. I would love to hear more from others as I am as baffled as all of you.

Thanks

-Barb

Horses - Behavior Issues, Breaking and Training

Lisa Kalp