Horses - Behavior Issues, Breaking and Training/keeping neck flat

Question
neck flat
neck flat  
hello ma'am, this horse name is SPRINT CHAMP, a local thoroughbred racehorse. i have seen her keeping her neck flat and galloping while being worked out on the sand track with an exercise rider. it does this mean she's running at her maximum speed? if not, then may i know why is she keeping her neck flat while exercised heavily?

Answer
Rohit,

Horses have two "centers"- their center of gravity and their center of motion.

The center of gravity moves about. When the horse is standing still, it is located vertically from his spine, a few centimeters in front of his rider's knee if the rider is in a generally accepted correct riding position. As the horse accelerates, it moves forward to a certain point. and it alters almost continually throughout the horse's stride.

His center of motion is more static, and is crudely somewhat between his fore and hind limbs.
This center is important for the rider to consider when he needs to correctly influence the horse with his seat, legs, and hands.

When a horse is galloping or moving down a steep hill, he will usually carry his head and neck quite low, partly as a balancing process and partly because the activity of the hocks and quarters will tend to put him into a rounded outline.

Mitzi  

Horses - Behavior Issues, Breaking and Training

Mitzi Summers