Horses - Behavior Issues, Breaking and Training/Behaviour/ pregnancy

Question
Hi! I recently attained a 5 year old hinny who has some behavior problems. She is extremely jumpy and sneaky as they come. She is skittish around everything and her first response is to run, which is dangerous for my younger brothers and rather painful for me when I'm out walking her. She is not trained to do anything, but she follows me with the lead well and I would like to break her to ride. What can I do to help her be more comfortable and relaxed, and not run at every little thing?

Answer
Hello,
I am so sorry as I thought I had answered this question but somehow it did not come through.  Here is my reply...
Thanks for the question.  To answer your question, I will say what I always say...  there is no magic in training and no 'tricks'.  If horses are acting out, 99% of the time, it is holes in their basic training and their foundation.  You need to go back to the basics and make sure that their foundation is solid and they have great manners.  Then you should be able to do just about anything with them, including basic riding and even advanced disciplines.  There is a great deal of information and videos on my website about Phase 1 and 2 training at www.heidiherriott.com at no charge to you.  Take a look and start working on their manners.  First and foremost, I want you to have safe interactions!

I wish you the best of luck.
Thanks!
Heidi Herriott

Horses - Behavior Issues, Breaking and Training

Heidi Herriott