Horses - Behavior Issues, Breaking and Training/prominent head nodding seeing someone

Question
hello ma'am, what does prominent head nodding mean (sometimes ear pinned)in horse training when a stranger approaches the horse standing in its stall?

Answer
Rohit,

This is a sign of aggression in the horse. He would do the same to another horse.
Horses have a flight or fight response to predators, which is what we are to a horse.
If this horse has been abused, and he is doing this because he is convinced the human is going to hurt him again...( and just racing in a race with a painful bit and being forced to run as fast as you can even if your body hurts) is a form of abuse.

A horse is not allowed to threaten a human, however, even if the horse is reacting for what HE thinks is a good reason.  There is no reason to beat the horse, but the human needs to assert his dominance  (I hate that word) over the horse....

I have found that it does not take much. Steady, quiet, progressive work helps.
But if attacked a sharp yell and a good slap on the neck or shoulder is required.Clicker training often works very well with this.

I remember a Standardbred at a race track that was so traumatized he could not be caught in his stall except by a hook on the end of a broom. He was known as a dangerous, mean horse.Once he was caught he was all right. I realize now that the poor animal was so traumatized by his handling that he was desperate not to be caught....it makes me very sad what we people do to horses.....

Mitzi
summersdressage@aol.com  

Horses - Behavior Issues, Breaking and Training

Mitzi Summers