Horses - Behavior Issues, Breaking and Training/tongue up

Question
tongue up
tongue up  
QUESTION: hello ma'am, is this horse with track number 396, putting its tongue over the bit? if not, then what is it doing with its tongue?

ANSWER: Hello Rohit,

I cannot be sure by the picture. He either has his tongue over the bit, or has his mouth open to try to relieve the pressure and pain that the bit is causing him.

This is another example of the pain that bits can cause. Horses put their tongues over the bit to try to escape pain. The bit pressing in his tongue hurts, so in an effort to stop the pain the horse, by putting his tongue over the bit, just causes the bit to rest painfully in the bars of his mouth.

I have heard people complain about their horses putting their tongue over the bit or opening their mouths. They refer to the horse as if he is being bad, mean, or to get out of work. They put tight nosebands on them, drop or flash nosebands fastened very tightly, or even use a noseband with the title of a "crank" noseband to force the horse to keep his mouth shut.

Mitzi

QUESTION: so ma'am, how to correct this problem in horses? would you like to put on Australian noseband or the horse should hold rubber mouthpiece bit?

Answer
Unfortunately horses still have to race in bits because of the rules.

They could check the horse's teeth to be sure they are all right. Then try other types of bits....maybe a lozenge mouthpiece French Link snaffle would be better for this horse.
A rubber mouth piece might help, although often these become dry and damage the soft tissues of the mouth.

Since a bit has to be used, I would experiement with different types and also give the horse time without a bit so that his mouth can rest and heal.

Mitzi  

Horses - Behavior Issues, Breaking and Training

Mitzi Summers