Horses - Behavior Issues, Breaking and Training/Mean horse

We have a gelding that is extremely mean to any other horses. Is there anything we can do to make him more friendly?

Most male horses have this problem, and really there isn't much you can really do except to punish him whenever he starts acting up. Sometimes it's just their personality other times it's just how they just aren't getting out and meeting other horses enough. Try to get him out there to meet and greet more horses and punish him when he starts acting up (start spinning him around in circles.).

If your horse also kicks when horses get near him put a red ribbon in his tail, it tells people that they should get too close or run up on your horse. (and if your riding with/around little kids most of them don't pay any attention so you'll have to remind them not to ride up on you.)

It may take quite a bit of time but my answer doesn't work within the first two months go ahead and ask this to another expert.

Horses - Behavior Issues, Breaking and Training

Aryelle L. Dyer

I can answer any questions about Western Equine behavioral issues, training advice, and how to pick a horse to fit your needs and expertise.

I have been riding and training horses my whole life. I am a professional barrel racer, horse trainer and riding instructor. I have been correcting behavioral issues with many horses and training horses from the start.

No where.

My education with horses comes from family and friends who are also experts in the Equine area.

Several play day trophies and belt buckles, and Washington state Junior Barrel's Reserve high point (only because I knocked down a barrel, I would have been the state champion.)

I have too many clients to count and remember, sorry.