Horses - Behavior Issues, Breaking and Training/Problem with my mare

Question
Hello there,
I have a 12 yr old thoroughbred mare who refuses to stand still at the hitching rail. Especially if I try to brush her. I have owned her for a few months. Whenever you approach her while she is tied she paces back and forth. And when you touch her with the brush she does it as well. It is extremely frustrating. And dangerous because she will run you right over. Any suggestions on how to overcome this? She is trained and was shown hunter/jumper before I bought her and I plan on doing that as well but feel unsafe around her on the ground.

Answer
Getting her a buddy is 1 out of 2 of my answers. Since horses are herd animals they don't like being alone, so next time you tie her up put a buddy (another horse she knows and trusts)next to her and try again.

My second answer goes straight back to basic training. You need to earn more respect from your horse, take her back to the round pen (or lunge rope)and work with her there, this may take a while but if she continues punish her every time she tries to move over on you.

It sounds like you just get her ready and ride, which is what most people do when they just get a horse, but it's not just about getting on and going it's about trust and respect. Work with her more on the ground then in the saddle for now and you will get awesome progress from her later.

Horses - Behavior Issues, Breaking and Training

Aryelle L. Dyer