Horses - Behavior Issues, Breaking and Training/Abused horse

I have a 5 year old Arabian horse she was abused and I took her in to give her a good home. She was abused by a man and because of this she will load very well on a trailer, but I want to get her trained to be a riding horse. I think I have finially earned her trust enough that she can be saddled, but I'm a little worried about riding her for the first time. Do you think she will retrain to be a good riding horse?

Hi Randi,
It would be hard for me to evaluate whether this will be a good riding horse.  I would be interested to know how long u have had the horse.  The other important factor here- is she a good fit for you. I certainly appreciate that you took her in, but more and more i am seeing dangerous scenarios where someone took in a horse, but it was not a good fit.  These are very large animals!
So, regarding your horses, there is definitely a way to evaluate what you have.  You will need to go back the basics if you have not already.  Start with what i call phase 1 training.  These are the basic manners.  Then move onto phase 2 - groundwork and fundamentals.  Then, and only when you have been succesful with phase 1 & 2  hsould you consider riding.  This information can be found on my website  go to the horestrix section and then the FAQ.   I would love to know how you are getting along.  All the best and stay safe!
Heidi Herriott

Horses - Behavior Issues, Breaking and Training

Heidi Herriott

I can provide specialized advice to questions regarding: +General/fundamental training methods +Behavior issues +Specialize in trick horse training +Pulling a sulky/cart, +Care and feeding +Traveling with horses +Mobile set up +Freestyle choregraphy and development +Animal Welfare issues. I am not well versed in competitive showing with judges and such.

I am a professional horse trainer and presenter with Thirty Five (35) years of horse training, riding and performing. Have expertise with miniature horses, ponies, mules, saddle and drafts. Ability to provide specialized advice to questions regarding various training methods to include trick training, training to pull a sulky/cart, care and feeding, as well as traveling with horses. Has entertained hundreds of thousands of people across the USA as well as performed and educated individuals on national television. I also host a website which provides Online Trick Horse Training through videos and printable manuals.

International Association of Fairs and Expositions; Outdoor Amusement Business Association; Florida Federation of Fairs; Showfolks of Sarasota

Publications;; USDA - Animal Care guidelines; MORE magazine; Showtime Magazine; Orlando Sentinel; West Orange Times; Fairs & Expos magazine;; Circus Report;; Animal Welfare & Education Campaign; The Faircracker

CREDENTIALS: +35 years of hands on working with all types of animals, specializing in variety of breeds of horses (i.e.: miniatures, ponies, standard and draft); +Animal expert interviewed on national TV programs to include: TODAY show, O’Reilly Factor, MSNBC, Fox, and Good Morning America

Animal Planet’s “Pet Star” Winner with a miniature trick horse; Nickelodeon Figure It Out - winner with mini mule and trick horse; Silver and Bronze medals at the Sarasota International Circus Festival; Guest Master of Ceremonies – John & Mable Ringling Museum of the Circus; PTSA Volunteer of the Year

Past/Present Clients, Employers and Partners----- Walt Disney World, Ringling Bros. Circus, Animal Planet, Nickelodeon, DownUnderHorsemanship, Mississippi/Florida/Missouri state fairs, NC State Championship Horse show, Six Flags, Arabian Nights, International Andalusian Alliance, Women Luv Horses, Southwick’s Zoo, Richard Petty Farewell, Ringling Museum of Art, Texas A & M University, Land of Little Horses, Orange Co. Govt. TV, and more!