Horses - Behavior Issues, Breaking and Training/Behavior

I am working with a 3 year old mare. She's already mostly broke but I am working to train her to jump. There's just one problem....we have a mounting block in the corner of our arena that she is deathly afraid of. I've tried everything! If I'm on the ground with her she'll go close to the corner but not within 5 feet of it. If i'm on her then she won't go on that half of the ring. She just stands and bucks. I don't know what to do anymore....please help!!

thanks for the question.  First, I would like to encourage you to finalize all her Phase 1 and 2 training (the basics) if  you have not done so.  You mentioned you are teaching her to jump.  Make sure you have everything else solid before you undertake this.  As far as the block, it is movable?  If so, I would  move this to another area of the arena and, while you are on the ground, let her look at it.  If she still persists and getting excited about this, take her away from it and lunge her.  Make her really move.  Bring her back over to the block in a very calm manner and talk to her.  If she is still jumping or spooking at it, move her away and lunge her again.  The goal is to make the block area where she can rest and relax.  Once you get her on track then move the block to other areas.  This may take a few days, but should not take more than that.  When she bucks, you need to reprimand her very loudly and sternly "NO or QUIT", and possibly with your whip as well.  THis is completely unacceptable and she needs to know this.    Again, since there is still some work to do on this front, i would encourage you to work on this until it is solid and not proceed with jumping for safety reasons.  Your horse would benefit greatly from an obstacle course and the great training and desensitizing opportunities that affords.  You can certainly keep  presenting her with obstacles/challenges in your stable area.  Do not avoid these, but rather encourage your horse to get past his nervousness.

I hope this helps!
Heidi Herriott

Horses - Behavior Issues, Breaking and Training

Heidi Herriott

I can provide specialized advice to questions regarding: +General/fundamental training methods +Behavior issues +Specialize in trick horse training +Pulling a sulky/cart, +Care and feeding +Traveling with horses +Mobile set up +Freestyle choregraphy and development +Animal Welfare issues. I am not well versed in competitive showing with judges and such.

I am a professional horse trainer and presenter with Thirty Five (35) years of horse training, riding and performing. Have expertise with miniature horses, ponies, mules, saddle and drafts. Ability to provide specialized advice to questions regarding various training methods to include trick training, training to pull a sulky/cart, care and feeding, as well as traveling with horses. Has entertained hundreds of thousands of people across the USA as well as performed and educated individuals on national television. I also host a website which provides Online Trick Horse Training through videos and printable manuals.

International Association of Fairs and Expositions; Outdoor Amusement Business Association; Florida Federation of Fairs; Showfolks of Sarasota

Publications;; USDA - Animal Care guidelines; MORE magazine; Showtime Magazine; Orlando Sentinel; West Orange Times; Fairs & Expos magazine;; Circus Report;; Animal Welfare & Education Campaign; The Faircracker

CREDENTIALS: +35 years of hands on working with all types of animals, specializing in variety of breeds of horses (i.e.: miniatures, ponies, standard and draft); +Animal expert interviewed on national TV programs to include: TODAY show, O’Reilly Factor, MSNBC, Fox, and Good Morning America

Animal Planet’s “Pet Star” Winner with a miniature trick horse; Nickelodeon Figure It Out - winner with mini mule and trick horse; Silver and Bronze medals at the Sarasota International Circus Festival; Guest Master of Ceremonies – John & Mable Ringling Museum of the Circus; PTSA Volunteer of the Year

Past/Present Clients, Employers and Partners----- Walt Disney World, Ringling Bros. Circus, Animal Planet, Nickelodeon, DownUnderHorsemanship, Mississippi/Florida/Missouri state fairs, NC State Championship Horse show, Six Flags, Arabian Nights, International Andalusian Alliance, Women Luv Horses, Southwick’s Zoo, Richard Petty Farewell, Ringling Museum of Art, Texas A & M University, Land of Little Horses, Orange Co. Govt. TV, and more!