Horses - Behavior Issues, Breaking and Training/Starting new horse

Question
I have READ THE NOTIFICATION

Hi Rick
I have started out a new horse I got.She is  a sweet  6 year old Spanish mare,15,2 hh,that has never been handled or ridden.I have watched your videos on your youtube channel and I have read your articles on your site.I have started her on the round pen,she accepted the saddle quickly,she is good at loping and I have started riding her with a rope halter using only  one rein.I am currently working on walking,stopping and turning.Lots of sacking out.I got this problem with her.She walks fast ,especially in the first 10 min when I get on the saddle.How do I fix this?I am walking and stopping her on a loose rein.How can I achieve a slow relaxed walk?Thanks in advance,by the way I admire your advice on the Internet,I think you are a great horseman

Answer
Slow way is fast way, she is telling you that she is not not comfortable and does not know what to expect. Slow down, saddle, round pen with walk trot and canter, more walking then trot and canter, let her figure out it is ok and comfortable to walk, when you mount, just sit and relax, flex both ways, relax, back up soft, stop and relax, flex and relax, get off and walk her with you on ground, relax, flex on ground, back up on ground, relax, flex and relax, mount and relax, no movement, sit in saddle and flex, relax. My guess is you get on she is nervous so you let her walk and move her feet since that is how she feels better, but now you have a habit and she expects this. Make a habit of sitting and flexing and relaxing when you get on. Then you walk, only three or four steps and stop. Back up, turn around, stand. flex, few steps forward and stop.

You can not let a new young horse learn to move to relax, you have to teach they can relax and stand still. She is not being mean, she is just new and nervous and thinks that is what she is supposed to do. She thinks this since you have not taught her any different.  She is talking and telling you, but you are not listening or missing it or misreading it.  Change what you do and she will change what she does.

Horses - Behavior Issues, Breaking and Training

Rick Gore Horsemanship