Horses - Behavior Issues, Breaking and Training/stopping a runaway horse

hello. how can i stop a horse which got loose from its handler's hands and running away?

Are you talking about a horse that is being led, one that is bolting with a rider up, or one that has thrown someone and taken off.

Although the above scenarios are different, end result is same.  Horse is loose and taking off.

In general, you are only going to be able to corner horse and catch it, you might be able to rattle feed cart if this has happened at barn, but chasing a horse usually results in it going even further and faster and further away.

If you are in direction horse is running, you can put arms up and make yourself appear big, and say WHOA!  Of course that is not guaranteed either.

If leading, being aware of surroundings and how horse is acting may help prevent one pulling out of your hands, but of course that is not always possible either.  

When you are trying to catch a horse that is loose?  Remember that a horse will usually move away from the side you are on.  If you are following horse, and it is heading to the right, if you also go to right, horse usually will go to the left...but have seen them speed up and fly off in direction they were going too.  Emus, FYI do not operate like this.

But trying to get horse to where you are able to keep if from having as many escape routes is best.  

Horses - Behavior Issues, Breaking and Training

Melanie Rowley

Questions relating to first time, or inexperienced horse owners. Other questions as needed. Questions on American Saddlebreds. Old fashioned training advice, riding advice for beginners, and general care questions. Behavior problems, with emphasis on thinking through aspects of problems that might not seem an issue at first.

About to turn 55. My father was a Saddlebred trainer, and I grew up around horses. I have also worked as a Master Saddlebred Show Horse Groom, working with Dale Pugh, Art Simmons, Sonny Sutton, and others. I also have worked with Quarter Horses, and Thoroughbreds on a mare and foal operation in Alabama. I have owned for years, and currently have two teenaged geldings. I also for many years have taught riding lessons, to adults and children, working with beginners just learning, and older adults who have lost their confidence, or wanted to get "back in the saddle." I was lucky to be around many of the best horsemen in MO, and AL and learn from them, and strive always to think through a situation and work to keep riders and horses safe. Those also include the many talented grooms, and farriers I met along the way.

Some college. General studies towards a nursing degree, which derailed due to divorce. Horse skills learned through over 50 years of watching, learning, doing and absorbing as I grew.