Horses - Behavior Issues, Breaking and Training/Freezing

Hi,    Ihave read the notification.

Our youngest family member was started about 6 months ago, we have had him home for approx. 3.  He is a 3 1/2 year old arab gelding.  I am absolutely delighted with him, we are bonding well and I am enjoying the beginning of our journey.  We have two retired seniors, and another riding arab. We trail ride, pleasure only.  Our horses are bitless, barefoot and treeless.

I have made a mistake,  in my attempt to make his initial trails light and pleasurable I was getting off and walking with him on the way home.  I would also get off if the footing was loose or rocky.   Consequently I have accidently trained him to think that  if he stops,  Mum gets off.  He does not appear stressed, just determined.   I have been slapping either side of the saddle (not him!) with my soft cotton reins, makes a loud popping noise.  When he moves off I immediately stop. I have also stopped getting off.
This method seems to be working,  he is freezing only once or twice each ride.  He will do this even with his buddy infront. He is normally very responsive to seat and leg, I just need to look where I want to go and he responds.  

I feel there must be a better way,  and I would also like to get back to walking with the little man.  thanking you, kind regards.

Stop slapping the saddle and slap him - you taught it, you have to un teach it. You have to be harder and mean since you were so nice that now he thinks you can't make him listen. I agree with him, I don't think you can make him listen either. So it up to you to prove us both wrong or prove us both right.  

Horses - Behavior Issues, Breaking and Training

Rick Gore Horsemanship

Visit Rick Gore's Horse Site:
--Rick is a student of the horse. I have over 450 free videos on Youtube about horses. I believe in and practice "Natural Horsemanship". I ride mainly western and don't use or promote spurs, bits, or whips. Reins are only one cue for the horse. Using the entire body helps the horse understand. I define riding as a human and horse working together for the enjoyment of both. Pain and fear should not be part of the equation. If you expect feel good advice, you will be disappointed. 95% of all my answers will include the problem is you and not your horse. About 90% of most answers that I give out are on my web site, so if you read it you will probably answer your own question and may learn a few other things. If you ask me a question that I answer on my site or video I will send your question to the question pool.

Rick is an experienced horseman with over 35 years of riding and handling horses. Rick grew up in Texas around horses and horse people. He has started colts, ridden many horses with behavior issues and worked with problem horses. (He believes that most horse problems are really people problems) He believes in and practices natural horsemanship and continues to read and study books by great horsemen. He routinely attends clinics, talks with and discuss horse issues with other clinicians and trainers. He has never met a horse that could not be fixed. Rick believes it is never the horse's fault and with proper handling, all problems can be worked out.

I have life long experience in being around and working with horses. Over the years I have watched good horsemen do the right thing and seen the wrong things done with bad results. I have a Bachelor of Science degree in Education.

Click Here to learn about Horse History

Clink Here to learn about Horsemanship