Horses - Behavior Issues, Breaking and Training/my horse is charging and stiking people

Question
Hi Lisa,
I adopted an abused horse that was gelded when he was 12 years old and I have had him for about two years. He is mouthy and still has stallion tendencies, but I can handle that. What I CANNOT handle is him charging and striking people in the pasture when I am not there. He knows better than to it when I am around, or at least he will not do it. I have been riding for 25 years and training for 10 so re-started him myself doing the NH method and he responded well. This charging behavior has been something that has been happening recently, like in the past few months. He hasn't done it since my first day with him at the rescue. I have looked at all the dynamics of who he is pastured with, supplements, is anyone possibly hurting him or scaring him when I am not around, etc. to no avail. I am at my wit's end but I refuse to give up on him. Help!!!
Thank you so very much,
Patience Turner

Answer
Hi Patience,
         Aggression can be caused by fear, pain and/or dominance. Have you had a vet check him out for pain issues or to make sure he was gelded properly? If not, I would rule that out. I would also check out his eye sight. A horse with vision issues may attack. If none of those apply, you have a few choices. If he is on sweet feed remove from it and place him on a pelleted feed. Give him just a grass hay. Move him into a smaller area and do some bonding exercise with him. Have someone you trust work with you so that he can get used to different people. The major thing is to teach him that people are the boss and that being aggressive is not something that will be tolerated. Let me know if this helps.

Lisa  

Horses - Behavior Issues, Breaking and Training

Lisa Kalp