Horses - Behavior Issues, Breaking and Training/top 10 demanding equine professions in the country

QUESTION: Hi Melanie. I am interested in horses and have plans to get into equine industry. Can you please list out top 10 demanding equine professions  in your country? Doesnt matter how tough it is.

ANSWER: Equine veterinarian would be one, many vet students no longer want to work with large animals, and also getting harder to find large animal vets.

Equine geneticist is another very important job, much work needs to be done in this field.

There are also people that work on developing various medications for horses, as well as therapies to help in healing.

Training a specific discipline, dressage, reining, all of those can be very good too.

Manager of various farms too, from being over the broodmares, or over the stallions.

A riding instructor can be rewarding as well.

QUESTION: Thanks for the answer. may i know about racehorse(thoroughbred) training? is it a good paying job in your country?

Training TB's is like any other discipline, you have to have good clients, have to produce winners and have to have the money to get started.

If you can establish yourself as an assistant trainer and get known, that helps, if you go to work training for an established barn that helps too.

You have to pretty much work your way up in horses still, working for a trainer might mean you would gain enough experience to open your own stable and get customers, but until you are a known commodity, going to be hard to get your name out there.

Old saying here is the best way to make a small fortune in the horse business, is to start out with a large one.

It takes a lot of money to get started, if you are going to live solely off your earnings as a horse trainer.

If that is what you are interested in, you should write to Kentucky Thoroughbred Association, and also Maryland, and Florida too, and ask them if there are mentoring programs in their states for those wanting to train.

Might also contact farms in various states too?  

Horses - Behavior Issues, Breaking and Training

Melanie Rowley

Questions relating to first time, or inexperienced horse owners. Other questions as needed. Questions on American Saddlebreds. Old fashioned training advice, riding advice for beginners, and general care questions. Behavior problems, with emphasis on thinking through aspects of problems that might not seem an issue at first.

About to turn 55. My father was a Saddlebred trainer, and I grew up around horses. I have also worked as a Master Saddlebred Show Horse Groom, working with Dale Pugh, Art Simmons, Sonny Sutton, and others. I also have worked with Quarter Horses, and Thoroughbreds on a mare and foal operation in Alabama. I have owned for years, and currently have two teenaged geldings. I also for many years have taught riding lessons, to adults and children, working with beginners just learning, and older adults who have lost their confidence, or wanted to get "back in the saddle." I was lucky to be around many of the best horsemen in MO, and AL and learn from them, and strive always to think through a situation and work to keep riders and horses safe. Those also include the many talented grooms, and farriers I met along the way.

Some college. General studies towards a nursing degree, which derailed due to divorce. Horse skills learned through over 50 years of watching, learning, doing and absorbing as I grew.