Horses - Behavior Issues, Breaking and Training/legs filled up

image 1
image 1  

image 2
image 2  
hello Brittney. may i know in which of the two pics the horse legs are filled up with excess protein? image 1 or image 2?

Both of these pictures look like the horse's legs are filled. Considering that all of your questions have been about racehorses, I'm going to assume that these legs belong to a thoroughbred. If the horse/horse'show legs aren't properly cooled after a work out, they will become puffy, and a horse with usually thin legs will suddenly have puffy legs the next day.

The area between the hoof and the hind canon bone look swollen. To me, it would appear that this horse was worked hard and then put away, allowing him to become puffy. Standing wraps can help a horse'show leg after working out, provided they aren't put on too tight, but the kindest thing would be to hose down the legs after a heavy work out. Other things to check for is joint swelling, which may require a vet.

Hope this helps,

Horses - Behavior Issues, Breaking and Training

Brittney Alexander

I can answer any question about English riding (pleasure and equitation), Western pleasure, transitioning into bitless riding, behavior, what to look for/how to buy a horse, & schooling issues. I can also answer questions about leasing contracts, as well as dealing with issues with boarders, barn managers, barn staff. Trying to find jobs with horses, or exercise riding jobs? I can answer questions about that too.

14 years total experience 4 years of initial professional training (as a rider) 7 years experience as an exercise rider 3 years experience as a trainer Currently working as a full time stable hand/groom & assistant barn manager I'm still learning everyday as working with horses is a learning experience everyday.

Veterinary Assistant Certified

Consistently place in the top 3 in any event.