Horses - Diet and Nutrition/lucerne - bond

hello ma'am, our stable grooms told me that if i hand feed lucerne to horses, they would develop a bond with me within few days. is it correct? if yes, may i know what's there in lucerne?

Hi Rohit,

Thank you for your question.  Hand feeding horses is a way of gaining their trust and in donig so you may be able to create a bond with them.  But I would suspect you would get the same reaction feeding any ingredient the horse likes and the bond is more a function of behaviour than it is of feed quality.

Thanks, Corlena

Horses - Diet and Nutrition

Corlena Patterson

I can help with any of your horse nutrition questions and concerns. I have been involved with horses for closing on 40 years, with a B.Sc in Animal Science and currently working on an M.Sc in Equine Science with the University of Edinburgh. I have owned my own feed store, consulted professionally as an equine nutritionist, and lectured in the fields of equine and dairy nutrition at the University level for 5 years. I have developed and currently market 'Ration-X', a ration formulation program for horses...designed for the everyday horse owner. I am happy to help in any way I can.

Experienced in developing and implementing feed programs for horses of all disciplines, creating custom horse supplements and managing inter-disciplinary equine facilities. Specialize in equine nutrition consulting.

The American Society of Equine Appraisers

'Stable Management' Handbook, Equine Canada.

M.Sc (Equine Science-current), B.Sc(Agr) Animal Science, Equine Sports Massage Therapy Certification, Farrier Certification, Equine Consultant Certification, Certified Equine Appraiser, Certified in Emergency Equine Rescue.