Horses - Diet and Nutrition/Yeast for horses

Question
At the Grey Bruce Horse Day you had talked about a certain yeast for horses, and I was wondering what it was for sure.  I have a couple of older horses that I am having trouble keeping weight on.  They  used to be butterballs.  Thanks for your help

Answer
Hi Sharon,

Thank you for your question.  I don't have a personal preference about yeast sources themselves, and find that live yeast and yeast culture work equally as effectively provided you feed the adequate amount (which would be listed on the label).  There are so many yeast products available to producers and Purina's Pur-A-Yeast is a perfect example.  You'll remember in my talk that not all prebiotic ingredients are created equally.  Yeast is great at improving feed efficiency (that's to say that it helps your horses convert forages to energy) but some weight loss issues could be more deeply rooted.  In these cases I suggest a prebiotic like Alltech's LifeForce Formula.  LifeForce provides a variety of yeast cell wall derivatives that perform different prebiotic functions...and yeast.  You may find it really helps your older horses.  LifeForce is available in Ontario from any of your Masterfeeds dealers. If they don't have it on the shelf they can order it from the main warehouse.  I hope you enjoyed the talk, best of luck with your aging companions.

Thanks, Corlena

Horses - Diet and Nutrition

Corlena Patterson