Horses - Diet and Nutrition/digestion in horses

hello ma'am, within how many minutes does digestion starts in thoroughbred horses when they are fed bran mash?

Hello Rohit,

Thank you for your question.  The horse begins to digest feed moments after it begins eating however, depending on the composition of the feed, digestion may not be completed for 2-3 days.  Grains are (ideally) digested in the stomach of the horse shortly after being eaten but forages are fermented in the cecum many hours later.  As a fiber-based feed, bran will begin to be digested within 1-2 hours but will not be fully digested (if at all) until a day or two later.

Thanks, Corlena

Horses - Diet and Nutrition

Corlena Patterson

I can help with any of your horse nutrition questions and concerns. I have been involved with horses for closing on 40 years, with a B.Sc in Animal Science and currently working on an M.Sc in Equine Science with the University of Edinburgh. I have owned my own feed store, consulted professionally as an equine nutritionist, and lectured in the fields of equine and dairy nutrition at the University level for 5 years. I have developed and currently market 'Ration-X', a ration formulation program for horses...designed for the everyday horse owner. I am happy to help in any way I can.

Experienced in developing and implementing feed programs for horses of all disciplines, creating custom horse supplements and managing inter-disciplinary equine facilities. Specialize in equine nutrition consulting.

The American Society of Equine Appraisers

'Stable Management' Handbook, Equine Canada.

M.Sc (Equine Science-current), B.Sc(Agr) Animal Science, Equine Sports Massage Therapy Certification, Farrier Certification, Equine Consultant Certification, Certified Equine Appraiser, Certified in Emergency Equine Rescue.