Horses - Diet and Nutrition/wheat bran

My horse has just been diagnosed as EMS. He is on herbal formulas. He does not like the taste. It is one and half ounce the herbs in warm water total. He will not take it without force orally. Yesterday I put the one and half ounces of liquid herbs onto about 2 tablespoons of wheat bran I had in the house for general baking. I chose this as the label showed it to have no sugar. I need to give him 9 doses p/ day. Will the wheat bran cause him any trouble, or could you recommend anything else to use. He did accept it when I put it in his feed bucket. Thank you.

Hi Helen,

There's nothing wrong with hiding his meds in the wheat bran, and for the long term you can likely buy it cheaper at the feed store than what you're paying for the cooking kind (end product is the same).  In fact, it's probably your safest bet.  Another option is beet pulp with no molasses added...but in this case bran is preferable.

Thanks, Corlena

Horses - Diet and Nutrition

Corlena Patterson

I can help with any of your horse nutrition questions and concerns. I have been involved with horses for closing on 40 years, with a B.Sc in Animal Science and currently working on an M.Sc in Equine Science with the University of Edinburgh. I have owned my own feed store, consulted professionally as an equine nutritionist, and lectured in the fields of equine and dairy nutrition at the University level for 5 years. I have developed and currently market 'Ration-X', a ration formulation program for horses...designed for the everyday horse owner. I am happy to help in any way I can.

Experienced in developing and implementing feed programs for horses of all disciplines, creating custom horse supplements and managing inter-disciplinary equine facilities. Specialize in equine nutrition consulting.

The American Society of Equine Appraisers

'Stable Management' Handbook, Equine Canada.

M.Sc (Equine Science-current), B.Sc(Agr) Animal Science, Equine Sports Massage Therapy Certification, Farrier Certification, Equine Consultant Certification, Certified Equine Appraiser, Certified in Emergency Equine Rescue.