Horses - Diet and Nutrition/horse appearing fat

horse appearing fat
horse appearing fat  
hello ma'am, is this horse fat as it stomach bulged out?

Hi Rohit,

As in your previous question, 'ideal' body condition is a little subjective as some prefer their horses to carry more condition than others.  Having said that, the size of a horse's belly is generally not used to determine body condition.  Some horses can have a low body condition score and a huge belly. This picture doesn't provide a very good angle for evaluating body condition but my first impression is that this horse is not carrying excess condition but rather is in very nice condition.  I'd have to have a better angled picture to put a number to the condition.

Thanks, Corlena

Horses - Diet and Nutrition

Corlena Patterson

I can help with any of your horse nutrition questions and concerns. I have been involved with horses for closing on 40 years, with a B.Sc in Animal Science and currently working on an M.Sc in Equine Science with the University of Edinburgh. I have owned my own feed store, consulted professionally as an equine nutritionist, and lectured in the fields of equine and dairy nutrition at the University level for 5 years. I have developed and currently market 'Ration-X', a ration formulation program for horses...designed for the everyday horse owner. I am happy to help in any way I can.

Experienced in developing and implementing feed programs for horses of all disciplines, creating custom horse supplements and managing inter-disciplinary equine facilities. Specialize in equine nutrition consulting.

The American Society of Equine Appraisers

'Stable Management' Handbook, Equine Canada.

M.Sc (Equine Science-current), B.Sc(Agr) Animal Science, Equine Sports Massage Therapy Certification, Farrier Certification, Equine Consultant Certification, Certified Equine Appraiser, Certified in Emergency Equine Rescue.